Wednesday 8 April 2015

My reflection shows, who I am, inside

2 Miserable but also Meaningful Month of mine

  About 4 months ago, I was locked far away from my home where I was unfamiliar with, but there was nothing I could do, it's compulsory, if I go against it, I will probably end up in jail now. So what it actually is that was controlling my will? Locking me up for 2 months? It's a devil, a devil we called, PLKN or National Service.

  Life in NS was miserable at first, the classes were boring and most importantly useless. I went in NS 1 week later than the others, so I was actually considered as the newbie. As a newbie, there's lots of things to be learnt and what to do and not to do. It wasn't that easy in the beginning but slowly, I picked up with them. 
  
  One of the major problem I was facing was getting use to the life in NS. Life in NS was tough for me, as I never stayed away from home for such a long time, so getting homesick was one of the problems I faced. Besides, I was also not used to getting up so early in the morning, bathing cold water from the mountain, eating spicy Malay food  for every single meal, sleeping without air-cond, doing my own laundry and many other contrasts with my life. But eventually, I got used to it, and i learnt how to be independent. 

  Another exposure I got from NS was mixing with people from all sorts of backgrounds, cultures, and religions. As I had always been in a Chinese SMK school, I spend almost all my time with Chinese. But after joining NS, I realized that our circle of friends should not be bounded by religion or colour of skin. We should mix around and get to know more people. By joining NS, I was actually forced to mix with others, and because of that, I learnt a lot from others for example some knowledge on Islam, some knowledge about cultures of Malays from different region of Malaysia.

  So for those who may one day be chosen to join NS, I encourage you to go. In a matter of fact, different camp sites will have different rules and some maybe more fun and relax than the other. So why not take the gamble and give it a try as it is a great opportunity to learn something essential to survive in this world. Me myself got use to staying in a hostel for college after getting the hands-on even worse life in NS. Also, I matured after exposing and mixing with others in NS and also my sight of vision became wider, I won't just think of staying in my current living circle for the rest of my life but I will try to explore. 

  • As you all know, it's a huge world out there, you just need to step out of your own circle and step into another's circle and the way you think or see                                   things may be totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment